How to choose the best deep fryer?
Still going out to eat mozzarella sticks and delicious French fries? Now, you can easily create your own gourmet dishes at home! The market for kitchen appliances offers a large number of deep fryers that are developed exactly for these purposes! Therefore, using your home deep fryer allows you to cook amazing golden shrimps and deep fried onion with no efforts. However, choosing the most suitable device that will fit all your needs might be often challenging. We’ve collected a number of tips on how to purchase the best deep fryer and enjoy tasty dishes.
Choosing the best home deep fryer: Prompts and Secrets
1. Make sure to read the user’s guide beforehand.
Although most deep fryers have an understandable interface, we highly recommend reading the manual on how to use a deep fryer first. It’s vital for enjoying the process of cooking and getting great cooking results.
2. Choose the capacity of the device wisely.
If you are planning to cook meals for just a couple of people, you can easily pick up an option with low capacity. However, when you have a big family, you will surely need a more powerful appliance.
3. Manually adjustable temperature functions.
Different kinds of food often require various temperature settings. Therefore, it’s a good idea to choose a device that enables you to cook diverse dishes.
The main weak point of most devices of this kind is releasing the smell of the oil. However, there is a good deal of manufacturers that have already resolved the issue. Just choose electric deep fryer with a specially designed oil filter and enjoy cooking with little to no smell. Note: avoid putting too much oil to your device since some machines might start leaking.
There is nothing new that most modern kitchen appliances are equipped with the timer function. The deep fat fryer is not an exception to the rule. This way, you are able to set up a certain time for cooking and just wait for your delicious meals are ready.
Some devices come up with the rotating baskets, while the others have a special pan that is put into the oil. The first option is less energy-consuming, but you will need to look after your meals during the cooking process not to overcook your dish.
7. Cleaning features.
Any modern deep fryer has a number of parts that can be easily removed and washed. Furthermore, some of them are dishwasher safe, so you can clean them no efforts.
8. Safety and warranty.
One of the most necessary features of any kitchen device is its security. This way, for making your cooking process safe, pick up the device with a locking lid. The breakaway cords that can be attached to your device with a special magnet, as well as rubber feet are among the most common safety measures for any portable deep fryer. As for the warranty, for this kind of kitchen appliance, it usually varies from three months to three years.
Deep Fryer Reviews
There is dozens of various models of deep fryers that differ in capacity, basic functions and extended options. We’ve collected the best deep fryer consumer reports for the most popular devices available on the market.
Amazon Customer Reviews
- 3.5-liter capacity for up to 2.65 pounds of food
- Oil filtration system
- Stay-cool handles for safe usage and storage
- 1700-watt power
- Removable dishwasher-safe parts
- Different basket positions for cooking and draining food.
- Programmed temperature not reached
- Insufficient oil depth
- The heating element often overheats.
This device amazed us with its user-friendly interface. The deep fryer showed amazing results when it comes to cooking various kinds of food. However, its filtration system is the most incredible thing among similar machines. The matter is that it is able to store oil! No more extra oil containers – the machine has an incredibly convenient built-in drain. If you look for the deep fat fryer reviews for different models, this device has the highest scores for the user’s experience.
All in all, this machine might become a great purchase for those, who prefer automated cooking processes, where the device is cooking food with a limited intervention of a human cook.
Amazon Customer Reviews
- One of the benefits of this machine is an opportunity to adjust your fryer basket, placing it higher or lower for the best cooking experience. The matter is that different meals need different adjustments, so you’ll be able to cook delicious dishes with minimum efforts.
- The device has a two-light regime. The first one indicates that your deep fryer is turned on, while the other warns you in case you’ve poured not enough oil. That is why you don’t need to worry about your food burned due to lack of oil: the machine has an automatic indicator for preventing this common issue.
- If you prefer checking your food during cooking, you will surely like a small viewing window, developed for these purposes. This way, you are free to have complete control over your culinary process.
- The device has convenient non-skid feet that prevent it from accidental damage. This machine is easy-to-use and has a container that can be washed in any washing machine.
- This kitchen appliance has a short-time one-year warranty. However, it is still absolutely reliable and perfectly copes with all its basic functions.
This electric deep fryer will fascinate you with its features packed in an unexpectedly small size. The oil container that can hold up to 2 liters of oil (=eight cups), which is enough to cook around six cups of French fries, for instance. And owing to its very small size, this deep fryer will save you much space on your kitchen counter.
One of the most enjoyable functions that this model is equipped with is an indicator that light up to show you that the temperature of the oil is now perfect to start putting food in it. Apart from this, you will find a temperature regulator at the front of this model, which also includes the possibility of manual adjustment. Moreover, you can observe the whole process through a special window.
Safety and maintenance features of this Hamilton Beach deep fryer are worthy of mentioning. First, you can easily remove all of its parts for proper cleaning and performance examination. Second, this deep fryer is equipped with cool-touch sides, which eliminates the risk of accidental burns. This is an especially valuable feature for parents who want to ensure their children won't get hurt by simply touching a working appliance.
On the downside, this deep fryer won't be a good choice if you need your crispy food to be ready in mere minutes. This model requires from 5 to 10 minutes to only heat the oil plus 5-10 minutes more to get the dish done. Further, the food might be fried unevenly because of the insufficient depth of the basket.
Amazon Customer Reviews
- The device is equipped with a timer and a special light that warns you when your oil is ready for cooking.
- Among its main benefits are the quality smell filter and a special window for even more control of your cooking process.
- This large deep fryer that might require additional space in your kitchen. So, make sure you will have enough space for another huge, but useful kitchen appliance.
This deep fryer remains to be an incredibly popular device for a few years. This kitchen appliance comes with three different cooking baskets and can boast a number of buttons to cook certain meals. We’ve tested the device for cooking chicken, onion rings and surely French fries. The deep fryer showed great results for each category, offering crispy crust and tender feeling. No worries about burned food: all the dishes were cooked perfectly. Therefore, this utility might perfectly fit beginner cooks: it’s simple and has not many additional options that are usually designed for professional cooks.
Since the machine can easily cook more food than its analogs, it is more oil-consuming. If you are looking for the built-in drain for oil, get ready to purchase it separately.
Amazon Customer Reviews
- The device can boast of having an adjustable thermostat that can help you to choose the needed temperature during your culinary experiments. Just imagine how many dishes you will be able to cook with such an advanced option!
- If you don’t like the smell of oil, this machine will also meet your requirements: it has a convenient odor filter.
- Not to mention, this fryer cooker has an impressive three-year warranty that is not available with its analogs. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about any issues that might happen with your favorite device. Just follow the instructions and enjoy cooking incredibly tasty meals with ease!
- However, the device has no oil container, so it might take you a little bit more time to wash it. However, the machine remains to be an easy clean deep fryer.
This model can become the best deep fryer for couples or small families who want their crispy food to be ready quickly. Its oil container can hold up to 1.1 liters of oil while the basket can fit up to 3/4 pounds of food.
With this model, you will learn how to use a deep fryer really quickly. The rotating temperature controller lets you adjust the temperature easily. The green and red light, also at the front, give clear information about the active processes inside the deep fryer.
The most notable characteristic of Cuisinart CDF-100 is its great heating speed. When you need to prepare some tasty crispy snacks as quickly as possible, this little deep fryer will do magic. This has become possible owing to a specific heating element introduced by the manufacturer, as well as excellent power of 1000-watt in one compact device.
For more safety, this steel model was equipped with plastic handles. Also, cleaning and storage are very easy.
Amazon Customer Reviews
- The compact device, easy in usage and storage
- Perfect for couples and small families
- 1:1 oil to food ration for a healthier diet
- Stylish design
- Low heating speed
- Handles get hot
- Plastic lid cannot be used to prevent oil spilling.
This compact model is the one that can make deep fried food much healthier than you would ever expect. Its oil to food ratio is 1:1, which means that four portions of food will require only four cups of oil to be perfectly fried. This allows not only saving oil but also making deep fried food less fatty.
Obviously, the capacity of this deep fryer makes it a good choice for couples or small families. Surprisingly, it has a superior power of 1200 watts for such a compact device. The safety of this deep fryer made of aluminum and plastic is supported by the North American Electrical Standards that this device adheres to.
However, this deep fryer also has a number of drawbacks according to the best deep fryer consumer reports. Since it is not equipped with any kind of temperature controller, the only way to adjust the temperature manually is to literally plug in the cable. Next, this appliance can be washed only by hands, which is not an easy task. Also, the durability of the Teflon coating leaves much to be desired. Finally, since the plastic lid should not be used to cover the deep fryer in the process of frying, you end up with oily mess everywhere around the appliance.
Top common mistakes for using your deep fryer.
1. Using frozen food. Too cold food can easily drop the temperature of your oil. So, it might take you more time to prepare your dishes.
2. Adjusting too low or too high temperatures. This might easily make your food burned while being raw inside.
3. Using unfiltered oil. Pouring an unfiltered oil might make your deep fryer black. Avoid using expired oil as well.
Deep Fryer FAQs
You need the best deep fryer for your purposes to produce crispy snacks and splendid main dishes. If you want to deep fry a whole turkey, you'll need an outdoor appliance with a 32-quart capacity that uses a propane burner. Smaller indoor deep fryers with capacities of 2 to 4 quarts would be ideal for making delicious goodies like deep fried mushrooms or donuts.
In addition to using the right deep fryer for your job, you'll also need to know how to use a deep fryer.
1. What are the best oils for a home deep fryer?
If you can find lard or tallow, which are fats rendered from pigs or cattle respectively, then you'll be using a traditional fat for deep frying. These animal fats tolerate high temperatures, impart a light flavor, and produce crispy foods.
Olive oil is a readily available alternative. The smoke points for extra virgin olive oils range from 350 to 410 degrees Fahrenheit. Other olive oils and light olive oils can handle temperatures between 390 degrees and 470 degrees Fahrenheit.
Avocado oil offers another plant-derived oil for deep frying, and it has a smoke point of roughly 500 degrees.
Although olive or avocado oils are excellent choices, they are relatively expensive, and you'll need several quarts for most frying jobs. This leaves peanut oil as an affordable option that maintains food quality. Peanut oil has a high smoke point and a neutral taste. It's also easy to find in gallon jugs at grocery warehouse clubs.
2. How can I cool down oil after using it in a deep fryer?
Ideally, you will let the oil cool down inside the deep fryer. This is the safest approach because you will not be moving or pouring large amounts of hot oil. Hot oil can inflict serious burns.
If you have an urgent need to move your fryer and store the oil, then you could speed up cooling if you can place the oil reservoir into a large pot or pan that contains ice water. You must be very careful not to slosh or spill any hot oil into the ice water because it will produce dangerous spatters. The cooling bath will draw heat out of the deep fryer.
You could also pour the oil carefully into large pans. This will spread out the oil and create more surface area that can release heat.
Regardless of how oil is cooled, your next step is to pour it into a heat-safe container and store it in the refrigerator for up to three months.
3. Can I reuse oil for deep frying?
Yes. In fact, you really should reuse the oil to save money and avoid unnecessary waste. Frying oil generally provides good results on second and third uses. One caveat here regards to fish. Oil that fries seafood will retain a fishy taste and should only be reused when you want to fry fish again.
4. What are the best foods for deep frying?
Follow your personal taste to answer this question. Once you know how to use a deep fryer, you can experiment with different foods and recipes. Popular choices for deep frying are:
- Battered vegetables (especially onion rings)
- Battered chicken strips
- French fries (of course!)
- Battered ice cream
When pondering large deep frying projects, like a prime rib or turkey, you should look for the best deep fryer Consumer reports recommends for that size of job. It's important to have the best deep fryer that you can find so that it will last a long time and heat oil consistently.
Deep frying a prime rib or turkey requires far less time to cook compared to oven roasting. For example, a prime rib with bones only needs 3 minutes per pound in oil at 350 to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
Basic Deep Frying Advice
- Heat oil to the frying temperature specified by the recipe.
- If your deep fryer does not measure temperature, use a thermometer.
- Frying at the required temperature is essential. Even the best deep fryer Consumer Reports has rated cannot overcome improper oil temperatures. Insufficient heat will produce soggy foods instead of crisp. Excessive oil temperature will burn foods.
- Avoid overloading your fryer. Only add food in volumes that the appliance is designed to accommodate. Otherwise, too much food will drag down the oil temperature and interfere with results. Give your fryer some time between batches to let the oil get back to the proper temperature.